Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter has a small balding patch on the crown of her…

Customer Question
hello, my daughter has a...
hello, my daughter has a small balding patch on the crown of her head, about the size of a five pence piece, It is quite red and shinny and it seems to be getting bigger. The top of her head is very tender to touch. I have taken her to our doctor three times now about this and they keep saying its nothing to worry about. The doctor has given her antibiotics and anti fungal cream on different visits and seem to think that its not a form of alipiethia. I am very worried by all of this because it is not natural. Please could you give me some advice on what your thoughts are and how i can take it further to a head specialist. Thank you. Mandy Shayes.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/22/2010
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 years ago

How long has this been going on? Was a biopsy of her scalp condidered?

I first noticed it in february, and nothing has been mentioned of a biopsy. I have been told that it is nothing and to stop worrying. I do worry because the small lump under the bald spot is very tender.
Any change in the skin in this area?
its red and shinny,and the hair around it seems to be thinning.
Well, it is true that, given several months, both alopecia and Telogen effluvium do resolve and normal hair growth resumes. That said, in worrisome cases, biopsy can better determine the exact diagnosis, and, hormonal evaluation of dehydroepiandrosterone, testosterone, and prolactin levels are indicated if periods are irregular, acne is present, nipple discharge occurs, or a moustache or excessive hair growth on other body areas occurs. Rogaine can be tried in the meantime.