Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have strange health issues, that seem to be getting worse…

Customer Question
I have strange health issues...
I have strange health issues, that seem to be getting worse daily, my Doctors seem to not care or not be capable of identifying anything.
Started with a burning sensation on my head, and not on the left side of my face, a very rapid decline in eye sight with now constantly blured vision.
Arm, back and groin pain, that is getting worse. Itchy skin on the sides of my hips. And severe fatigue.
I've had lots of blood tests, MRI, colonospy, and a whole range of other tests.
Nothing has been identified and according to everyone im perfectly healthy and there is nothing wrong with my eyesight.
Incredibly frustrating, its getting so bad its affecting my work.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/22/2010
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 years ago
What diagnoses have been considered and ruled out? I'm a little confused about your vision--you test normal with the usual examinations?
I think diabetes is ruled out. MRI brain scan was clear. Cholesteral, blood sugars clear. They have no clue. The burning sensation on the left side of my face is around my left eye and is constant.
My vision problems are constant, from the moment I wake up my vision is very blurred, it gradually improves in the next 15 minutes but remains less than perfect all day, some days are better than others.
Ive been to optomitrists, who say I may benefit from glasses but they are not needed, retina specialist who said nothing wrong dont know why your here. But im leaning forward to see my computer screen now as I cant make it out without focusing hard.
In eye tests, I can read the bottom or second bot***** *****ne no problem, but its very blurry.
How long has this been going on? Were trigeminal neuralgia and autoimmune disorders considered?
Its been going on 12-18 months and getting worse.
I dont think either of those have been ruled out unless they are covered by blood tests.
When this first began, did you have any rash on your face?
2+ years ago, there is no rash, just a burning / numbness on the left side only.
Last question--was shingles considered?
I dont believe so. Its hard to remember all the tests I've had in 2 years. But it doesn't ring a bell
OK. Yours is a difficult problem, seeing as how you've seen multiple doctors for this. Trigeminal neuralgia could still be a thought--inflammation of the cranial nerve that exits in front of the ear. It's diagnosed by symptoms alone, and Tegretol is th standard medication for it. Shingles--or, more specifically--post herpetic neuralgia, without the usual rash is another thought, and this can be treated with lidoderm patches and Lyrica. Multiple sclerosis is another area, and a spinal tap might be warranted. Sorry I can't give you just one diagnosis, but you might mention my thoughts to your doctors and have them consider the above diagnoses.