Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I went to the doctor friday and they drew blood, and my h&h…

Customer Question
I went to the doctor...
I went to the doctor friday and they drew blood, and my h&h was 7.3? The doctor started me on iron pills, but should she have ran more test to see where the blood loss was coming from?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/21/2010
Doctor: Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD replied 8 years ago
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
The most common cause of anemia is iron deficiency anemia. Hence your doctor has probably assumed this. Iron deficiency anemia is very likely to be due to an inadequate diet. There are tests which can determine whether the diet is due to iron deficiency or not, and you should discuss with your doctors about this. There are other causes of anemia, including GIT causes such as git bleeds, thallesemias, etc. You need to talk with her doctors regarding the exact cause of your anemia and whether it really is iron deficiency anemia..

You should take a diet rich in iron. You should also take Iron pills as advised.

You can look up here for more info on this:

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/blood/009.html

http://www.mamashealth.com/nutrition/anemia.asp

Look up here for advise on diet for anemia:

http://www.healthcastle.com/iron-anemia-diet.shtml

http://www.annecollins.com/diets/anemia-diet-advice.htm

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Relist: Answer quality.
Doctor: Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor

Thank you for your question,

yes further tests are needed and these tests are

stool tests to see for any blood in the stools,

peripheral blood film,

hemoglobin electrophoresis,

serum iron levels and ferritin levels.

These tests should be considered before declaring person as iron deficiency anemia.

I hope this answers your question,

you can ask follow up questions.
The only thing the doctor did was give me iron pills and told me to follow up in a month. Should I wait that long or should I get another opinion?

Thank you for your input,

If there is an obvious cause found like bleeding from any site then doctors give iron pills as

most likely cause in this case is iron deficiency secondary to blood loss.

If there is no such thing then further work up should be done.

I hope this answers your question

you can ask follow up questions.