Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a "proplast patient". In mid 80s had TMJ dislocation,

Customer Question
I am a "proplast patient"...
I am a "proplast patient". In mid 80s had TMJ dislocation, cartlidges bilaterally replaced with Proplast (teflon discs). In late 80s Proplast implants recalled by FDA. Mine had perforated and caused degenerative bone disease. Now know that microscopic pieces of teflon could not be removed and went to lymphatic system in some cases don't know where else in others. Following removal and debridement received Osteomed Prosthesis bilaterally. Over the past year have had episodes of severe swelling on right TMJ and cheek last episode swelling moved over under eye and had a "mouse" (boxing term for swelling under eye from blow) the size of a quail egg and bright red swelling on TMJ was size of regular large egg. Ended up with black eye. This comes on without warning, significant pain and lasts as long as 3 days. My FP Dr. has no clue what is. My Maxillofacial Surgeon diagnosed as Angio Neurotic Edema. No inflammation no infection, no fever. Could this be caused by floating pieces of teflon, what is it, and what do you know about problems encountered by other "Proplast patients"?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/22/2010
Doctor: Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS) replied 8 years ago
Mark Bornfeld
Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS)
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
Dear JACUSTOMER-i96fu3ow,

Your surgical history and the location of the bruising suggests a vascular issue rather than a sensitivity reaction such as angioedema.

The location of the TMJ is adjacent to the infratemporal fossa, where the deep veins communicate with cavernous sinus and other vascular structures behind the eye and in the cranial base. Thrombosis and/or infection of these deep vein structures sometimes manifest in the manner you describe.

I would recommend that you discuss this issue with your primary care medical doctor; he may recommend a referral to a vascular specialist for additional diagnostic tests.

Hope this helps...
While this answer might be satisfactory for some people it does not really answer my question in regard to microscopic bits of Proplast (teflon) being in my lymphphatic system and whether you've heard of it and is there a longterm prognosis, what can I expect. I trust my surgeon's diagnosis since he has vast experience with TMJ and my case in particular (Dr. ***** *****, M.D., D.M.D., Austin Surgical Arts, Austin TX). Also wanted info on OsteoMed Prosthesis. Can't find anything because they withdrew it from market. Need to find out what failures if any and that sort of thing. The AngioNeuroticEdema issue is just the latest in a long line of problems (have had this prosthesis for 20 yrs. and am probably the longest term patient. Have they had to be removed from others? Given this info, could your sugggestion that the swelling problem is vascular hold and be connected to teflon/prosthesis?
Dear JACUSTOMER-i96fu3ow,

Your question is really of a medical rather than a dental nature, and would receive more appropriate attention in the medical category. I will opt out and allow one of our medical experts to provide his insights.
Thank you. Will assume I am to await answer