Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been experiencing numbness and tingling in different…

Customer Question
I have been experiencing numbness...
I have been experiencing numbness and tingling in different parts of my body ie. face, side, leg random. Just starts out of no where. I first started feeling like this side went numb, when this happens I loose movement of that body part. Blurred vision occasionaly with little white dot spects. My toes fingers and toes burn and hurt.Im thirtsy alot and urinate frequently. I am currently on 4 HIV antivirals and undetectable. Please advise?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/21/2010
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Thanks for your question.

HIV medications can cause peripheral neuropathy as adverse effects.

Besides, HIV is also associated with peripheral neuropathy itself.

The eye symptoms can be independent due to the retinal diseases or may be related to brain issues.

Please consult with a neurologist for a clinical evaluation & also a brain MRI scan to rule out any other demyelinating disease ( multiple sclerosis, encephalomyelitis etc.).

Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello
The other expert is correct about the peripheral neuropathy.
However, I would like to respectfully ***** ***** each medication should be looked at specifically, and that your visual symptoms can also be part of your treatment, it is not necessarily the case that you have an additional retinal or brain problem.

Idinivar, Nalfinivar, ritonavir, saquinavir, among others can cause either blurred vision specifically or vision problems in general. Didanosine, lamavudine, navirapine, stavudine, zalcitabine, ritonavir, and others can cause tingling, numbness and other symptoms of peripheral nueropathy.

Hope this helps clarify things
Good luck to you
dt
Please click accept to give answer credit. Bonuses and positive feedback much appreciated and very helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.

Thus your visual symptoms might also be due to medications depending which you are on. There are many other side effects, such as dislipademia [cholesterol problems] that can lead to some of your symptoms secondarily, from a circulatory problem for one example.

It is important that your HIV doc review your meds and examen you to consider the risk v. benefit of changing anything, and if so, what the optimal change would be. Also, to avoid an unnecessary MRI or such procedure, your retinas can be examined by your doc and also your medications to see if visual pehnomana are a side effect, which is the case with quite a few.

Good luck.