Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is there a procedure that can be done to relieve the

Customer Question
abdominal swelling and discomfort, and...
Is there a procedure that can be done to relieve the abdominal swelling and discomfort, and the difficult breathing associated with liver disease
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/21/2010
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
If this is ascites [fluid in the abdomen] when things get tight enough the procedure is called paracentesis, a needle is put in to drain off the fluid.
This is only when absolutely necessary as the procedure is mildly invasive, but can be done with an internist of GI doc.
Good Luck
dt
Please click accept to give answer credit. Bonuses and positive feedback much appreciated and very helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.
This has been done and they wont do it again. I'm afraid he's going to die. Is there a shunt or something can be done
The is an internal procedure called TIPS
A good review indicated that this procedure, minimally invasive, had a better result in patients with cirrhotic liver disease than paracentisis. You can ask about this proceudure.
Good Luck
dt

His problems all stems from various tattoos while incarcerated

The TIPs procedure is sort of an internal shunt that takes pressure off of the liver.
Good Luck
dt
Would you suggesst this procedure for my brother., Time is of the essense
This is a standard precedure in cirrhosis with ascitis and there are many docs who do it. You should be able to arrange it unless the docs have some reason not to do it.
good luck
dt
Thank for you input, What type of dr do we need to consult. internal med, urology or what
Internal medicine
Or, directly to a sub-specialist in internal medicine...hematologist.
Good Luck again
dt