Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a very slight stiff neck, I do not get any pain in my…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a very slight...
I have a very slight stiff neck, I do not get any pain in my neck, I am a Software Engineer, when I am working in front of a Computer there is a sensation that my nerves are pulling and I am not able to concentrate fully, this was more a week ago but less now. What could be the reason. Do i need to visit a doctor or can i take any generic medicines?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/21/2010
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
You can take medications but this will not address the cause of the stiff neck, which might well be ergonomic. Sitting in front of the computer having multiple negative stresses.

A structural assessment on your posture and functioning would be well worth it. Otherwise the problem might continue to recur.

Muscle relaxants and bed rest can clear the acute problem on occasion, but muscle relaxants are prescription in general.

Muscle spasm can often be a reflection of inadequate magnesium and supplementation sometime helps.

As assessment of your neck in relation to the rest of you , however, as stated, would be optimal:
Choices:
Regular doc
Orthopedist
Physiatrist
Osteopath
Chiropractor

Other:
Physical therapist
Massage therapist.
Feldenkrais
Alexander technique

Good Luck
dt
Please click ACCEPT to give answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated. Bonuses the most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.
dt
What do you think could have caused this?
Sometimes a viral infection, although this is a non-specific assumption.
Difficulty in the neck structure itself from too much sitting and too much computer use.
Visual problems due to the same.
A disc problem in the neck: if findings on exam suggest this, then an MRI will delineate if there is a problem and what it is..
Good Luck
dt

Discomfort is more 10 days back but now it is less, does that mean it is getiing subsided?

Very probably
And this is not uncommon
But I believe a structural assessment is in order in any case
There are many options as above.
Good Luck
dt