Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Groin swelling where hernia repaired...how long?

Customer Question
groin swelling where hernia repaired...how long?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/21/2010
Doctor: Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer:

The swelling will slowly resolve within 2-3 weeks. I suggest that you continue the use of ice/hot compresses 2-3 times daily, and over the counter Aleve 1-2 pills twice daily with food. If swelling persist after 3 weeks, I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for closer evaluation to exclude any hematoma (blood clot) and/or infection of the soft tissue in the area of repair, or failed hernia repaired with herniation of intra-abdominal content.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.