Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having mucus in my throat for some months now.

Customer Question
Hi doctor, I have been having...
Hi doctor,
I have been having mucus in my throat for some months now. In the past two months it has been accompanied with droplets of blood.I have taken antibiotics but it has not still gone. What do i do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/21/2010
Doctor: Dr Jones, Board Certified MD replied 8 years ago
Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
What are your present symptoms?
Any possibility of chest infection?
When did you take antibiotic? Is it two months ago?
Any investigations done or consultation undertaken?
No symptoms that i know of. Maybe headaches once in a while.
My chest could be heavy sometimes or feel funny at times. Apart from those i do not notice any other symptoms.
I just finished the last dose of antibiotics this morning. the only thing i took before were over the counter drugs from Walgreens, that is Waltussin which was working before it did not have any effect any more.
No investigations have been done.
Hi thanks for the details.

Bloody sputum (spitting up blood or bloody mucus) can come from common forms of infection in the lungs and airways, such as acute bronchitis or pneumonia. Bloody sputum can also come from cancer of the lung(less likely at your age). Whenever bloody sputum is present and cannot be attributed to any particular condition, a complete lung evaluation is warranted.Various lung condition can cause this. At times bleed from other parts like sinus, nose, pharynx etc can present as blood in sputum and this can be differentiated by clinical examination and investigations.However since you have few chest symptoms I would surely like to rule out lung related causes.

I think as you have already treated antibiotics and over counter treatment you should consult doctor for evaluation.It will be important for your doctor to determine that blood is indeed originating from the respiratory tract. A complete history and physical examination will be required, along with diagnostic studies such as a chest x-ray and sputum culture and sensitivity. Treatment will depend on the diagnosis.

Please ask if there are any further questions or if you want me to explain anything.
Take care.
Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Thanks for your help.
Thank you.please let me know if you want more information.Please take a moment to post Positive feedback.