Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I receive Prescription Medications (Generic Form) and want

Customer Question

I receive Prescription Medications (Generic Form) and want to know how long would I have to abstain (Abstainenance Time) to obtain a negative result if I had to give a Urine Sample for the following Medications:
1) Oxycodone: 150 mg per day.
2) Methyphenidate: 20 mg per day.
3) Benzodiaphenes: Combination of Estazolam 4 mg and Zolpidem Tartrate 10 Mg per night.
I am 56 year old male, and weigh 225 lbs. I have taken these for approxamatley 7 years.
Additionally, I occassionally (usually 1-2 times annually) stop taking these for 7-10 days, and can do so successfully. (My Cell Phone # is (XXX-XXX-XXXX) and would be willing to compensate a medical expert for (Medical Doctor) for accurate information.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 years ago.

The metabolism of drugs vary widely between individuals.The usual length of time that oxycodone is detected is 2-5 days, methylphenidate is 1-2 days, and benzodiazepines is 1-2 weeks. Long-acting benzodiazepines can be detected for up to 6 weeks. Zolpidem is a non-benzodiazepine, so is not detected by the benzodiazepine screen, but it can be detected using a test for this medicine if it is suspected. There are some people that metabolize much slower than average, so if you wanted to be certain that the urine was clear, then you should allow for a couple of extra days as a buffer.

It is also true, though, that this may be irrelevant. For most jobs, if you have a bone fide prescription for these medicines, the fact that you are positive on a test is not a concern. They may ask for documentation of the bone fide prescription or a copy of the medical records from your physician, but once documented, there will be no further concern.