Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My doctor doesnt help me beyond the examination room. i have…

Customer Question
my doctor doesnt help me...
my doctor doesnt help me beyond the examination room. i have extreme pain that has persisted for 5+ years. I have to tell him what to test for. why dont doctors do any research?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/21/2010
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

It depends upon what you mean by research. True research is done in research centers. There are many requirements placed upon research efforts that limits the ability to do this in community practice. If you mean researching a patient's condition, that is a different issue. A doctor may be too busy to perform any necessary research for an unusual case, but if the doctor is unable to address the patient's needs, then he/she should refer the patient to a specialist that is able to address the need. If a patient feels uncomfortable in the relationship with their physician, it is reasonable to consider seeking a different physician, with whom you can develop a better relationship.