Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a thyroid ultra sound in 2008 it reveiled 2 large

Customer Question
Hi my name is *****...
Hi my name is ***** ***** had a thyroid ultra sound in 2008 it reveiled 2 large tyroid nodules. I had a biopsy done and as there is blood flow in the nodules they were unable to get a reading. I have just got the results of another ultra sound this is showing that the nodules have grown and there are more nodules than before.I have had a blood test done it shows that the thyroid is working. My local doctor is sending me to see a specialist and has suggested another biopsy I have been told that if the nodules are carrying blood that it is near imposiblr to get a reading. As this was a very uncomfortable process i dont want to go through it again and be told it was unsuccessful again. is there any other way of checking for cancer than needle biopsy, and if the nodule is classified as cold which it was does this mean it is not dangerouse. thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/21/2010
Doctor: Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)

Sorry for your sufferings.

The hot nodule means hormone producing or functioning nodules.

They are almost always non-cancerous.

But the cold nodule means the nodules which do not produce any hormone or nonfunctioning nodule.

Though multiple nodules which you have, go in favour of benign than a single cold nodule, but still there can be a possibility of cancer.

So in case of cold nodule (as your hormone levels are normal) repeated biopsy are required to exclude or diagnose any cancer at early stage.

Biopsy is needed to exclude cancer.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
I have been told that on many occasions they are unable to get a reading with a biopsy,is this true and if so is there any other test that can outrule cancer thank you
As you had previous unsuccessful biopsy results, ultrasound guided biopsy can be done which is more reliable to get the biopsy done accurately.

Other tests can give a suspicion of cancer, but biopsy is conclusive.

Best wishes.
the biopsy that was performed was an ultra sound biopsy, the problem was that because of the blood flow in the nodule they were unable to get a reading. that is why i wondered what else could be done if anything. cheers mags
Bleeding may not happen always.

Hope it should not be repeated on you next time.

Best of luck.