Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

For a Physician. I was on a vacation and had 1 to 2 drinks…

Customer Question
For a Physician. I was...
For a Physician. I was on a vacation and had 1 to 2 drinks of alcohol a day...for 4 days , then 1 day i had 5 drinks and every day i also took tylenol between 1 - 2 grams. This as I am aware is ok. I am not a drinker and was only drinking because i was on vacation. On the last day i drank way too many 10 drinks and the next day I felt horrible because i take zoloft and had a hangover and major headache...i took 4 grams over the course of the day of tylenol and the next day i took 3 grams and then next day 2 grams....I did not drink with the 4 grams , 3grams or 2 grams. Now after reading on the internet i could have horrible liver failure i am freaking out....should i?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/21/2010
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 years ago

Greetings.

Just three to four days of Tylenol does not cause liver failure. Even considering your previous alcohol intake or the previous regular Tylenol, this is not likely to cause a sudden liver failure.

Dr. Arun

how come a study on the net says that just 4 grams day after binge drinking is enough to cause severe liver damage. ?

And i never drink i only drank because i was in Mexico on vacation.

All internet resources are not authentic and reading them, believing them can cause unnecessary anxiety. Please read the authentic resource; 4 gms per day can be given;

http://www.medicinenet.com/acetaminophen/article.htm

Dr. Arun

i agree but i did have one night of binge drinking. i had 8 or 9 drinks but then i didn't take acetaminophen until 10 hours after the last drink. and i proceeded to take 4 grams that day...that would not cause liver damage?

Even both combined; binge drinking and 4 gms of Tylenol; that would not cause liver failure. If that would have caused liver failure; you would not be able to interact here.

Dr. Arun

how bout liver damage that is irreversible

Liver has maximum regeneration power out of all organs in our body and liver damage can be reversible.

Dr. Arun

if i get a liver enzymes test done ...if there was damage done...it's been four days since the binge....and i have been taking tylenol at the above schedule i mentioned...will liver function test be elevated and if so how high do they have to be after 4 days to show damage occured a few days ago.

If there was a liver damage; the liver enzymes would be elevated. Any raise (or abnormality regardless of the magnitude) may be important but usually triple of normal is considered significant.

Dr. Arun

but if it is elevated a bit now how would i know if it was at the toxic dose a few days ago...?

Any raise will be considered to immediate past, if the liver ultrasound is normal. If it is due to long problem, ultrasound and CT scan would be abnormal.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun