Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Had surgery on my ankle for torn ligaments and chips in the…

Customer Question
had surgery on my ankle...
had surgery on my ankle for torn ligaments and chips in the joint 2 weeks ago and now i am having worse pain with my ankle that at the time of surgery and having bad pains in my calf what can i do for the calf pains and is this normal
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/21/2010
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.
Please let me know a little more about the symptoms to answer you better. When did you last visit doctor? Is there any redness, swelling there? Is there any bandage/ cast? How was mobility after operation?

Regards.
went for follow up last thursday and he removed the cast to check incissions and said they looked good but had alot more swelling than what he liked and re casted it thursday night started having severe pain in ankle and calf so went back friday to see him removed the cast said was a little red and way to much swelling still put a boot type stablizer on and sent me for a venous doppler and they sent me home with a appointment to go back to him on tuesday and have had moderate pain since till tonight and now its back to severe pain again
Thank you for the input.

I would advise you to go to ER for an examination. Increasing pain in the calf area with redness & swelling needs examination & doppler studies to exclude any clot in the vein & its risk. Though elevation, analgesics with antiinflammatory actions like motrin or advil can help with pain but it is essential to exclude clot first.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.