Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was born and i stayed yellow for 6 weeks and i was taken…

Customer Question
i was born and i...
i was born and i stayed yellow for 6 weeks and i was taken in to hospital on paper the result was i had a giant hepertis cell could you explan what this is please
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/21/2010
Doctor: The Physician, Doctor replied 8 years ago
The Physician

Greetings

Welcome to justanswer.com

In 1952 two pathologists Craig and Landing, described a change in the size of liver cells in newborns who had jaundice that started long after the usual physiological jaundice.

This type of jaundice was found NOT to be due to immaturity of the liver cells from removing bilirubin (which is what causes the physiological jaundice), it was also unrelated to the presence of blood incompatibility.

The liver usually produce bile (bilirubin included) and expel it through the biliary ducts into the intestines. If this does not happen the bilirubin in the bile spills into the blood causing jaundice.

On further evaluation they found that most babies with this type of jaundice had blockage of the tube that carry bile (bilirubin included) out of the liver. THIS IS KNOWN AS BILLIARY STENOSIS / ATRESIA.

Biliary stenosis, blocks outflow of bile from the liver and this backlog of the bile in the liver not only spill into the blood, but also causes the liver cells to grow larger than normal, hence the name Giant cell hepatitis.

The cause of the biliary stenosis is unknown but the BEST speculative analysis suggest that it could have resulted from mother contracting hepatitis during pregnancy and transmitted to fetus causing poor development of the biliary ducts. This is justified because the incidence has dropped with the drop in the incidence of hepatitis in adult women.