Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What's the cause of enlarged thyroid?

Customer Question
What's the cause of enlarged thyroid?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/21/2010
Doctor: Dr Singh, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor
An enlarged thyroid can be caused by a number of different thyroid related problems such as Hashimoto's, Graves, goiter, and/or cancer. If you are having an enlarged thyroid I would recommend that you go see your doctor and get some blood work (thyroid function tests, CBC, BMP) and some imaging of the scan to determine the cause of it and the most appropriate course of treatment for it. Regards.
my blood work is normal,the CT skan just shows an enlarged gland, I was diagnosed with SLE several years ago and I wonder if this can be a cuse.I have no symptoms at all.
SLE can cause thyroid disorder since both are autoimmune disorders. If a CT scan showed an enlarged thyroid but your blood work for your thyroid then the more likely causes of your enlarged thyroid are goiter or possible cancer. You should have both those possibilities worked up by your doctor. You may require a needle biopsy of the thyroid to determine if it is cancer related. I recommend you make an appointment with your doctor/endocrinologist regarding this soon. Regards.
would you recomend a thyroidectomy or just a biopsy?
First, a biopsy is indicated in order to determine what it is that is causing this problem. If it is benign, then no thyroidectomy would be needed. If it turns out to be cancerous, then the most likely treatment plan would be a thyroidectomy and can be discussed with your doctor at that time should it be needed. Regards.
Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor
Thank you so much
You are most welcome.