Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What causes a blocked arterial in the right leg and what…

Customer Question
what causes a blocked arterial...
what causes a blocked arterial in the right leg and what treatment is avaiable to unblock it
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/20/2010
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Thanks for your question.

Arterial thrombosis can be caused by poor blood circulation.

Hereditary tendency of excess blood clot formation can be responsible.

Atherosclerotic disease of the arteries is the commonest cause.

Hence, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking are risk factors for arterial block.

If stenting did not provide desired result, then next option will be to go for bypass grafting.

In this procedure, a healthy vein or artery is grafted to improve blood circulation through collateral circulation.