Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a 76 year old male. 4 years ago I had by-pass surgery.

Customer Question
I'm a 76 year old...
I'm a 76 year old male. 4 years ago I had by-pass surgery. In the hospital I had 2 strokes but have suffered few residuals from these. I'm in Atrial Fibrilation (have been all my life) but my cardiologist has me well medicated. Now my problem: The last few weeks I've been having diarrhea and I don't always make it to the bathroom fast enough. And, I'm afraid to pass wind......
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/20/2010
Doctor: Dr. Charogat, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Do you have any medical problems?
Do you take any medications?
Have you ever had surgery (other than what was already mentioned?)
What kind of symptoms did you have from the strokes?
Are you having any other symptoms?

G-d Bless
My only medical problem is Atrial Fibrilation, I think..I take Tekturna 300 MG Daily, Digoxin 125 MCG, Simvastatin 40, once daily, Carvedilol 18.75 MG twice daily, Warfarin 5.5 MG daily, Senior Multi-Vit once daily, Hydrochlorothiaz TB 12.5 MG daily, Doxazosin Mesylate 4 MG daily, Aspirin 81MG daily, Vit B Complex daily

Stroke Symptom: Short Term Memory poor. I kinda walk like I've been drinking alsohol to excess
Have you had any changes in your diet?
When was the last time that your medication regimen changed?
When was the last time you refilled your medications?
Are all your medications filled at the same pharmacy?

G-d Bless
No changes. I cook one night and my wife cooks the next. We have a cautiously low fat diet. One thought just came to mind: The farmers market just opened for the season and
we are eating higher amounts of fruits and vegees, which could be the answer, but in other years I have not reacted this way physically. The last addition to my medication list was several months ago when I told my Cardiologist I was feeling week and he suggested Vitamin B Complex. I also see the VA a couple times a year. My GP at VA said I should take 300 MG Iron daily but my Cardio said no. I get meds from the and VA Prescription Solutions. From the VA I get 30 day supplies and Prescription solutions I get 90 day supplies.
I'm sorry for the long delay in answering your question, I was checking some journals to see if there are any updates in treatment recently.

The most important thing is to control the diarrhea. Ways to do this would include taking in more fiber, or medications that slow the intestinal movements. (When your bowel moves slower it gives the body more time to take the fluid out of the bowel movement.) Immodium has such properties.

The better thing would be to try to first control the diarrhea with your diet, and if that doesn't work you can move on to the other medications.

If you develop any more symptoms while taking medication to slow your bowels you need to stop immediately and see your doctor.

I hope you feel much better soon.

G-d Bless

If you have any follow-up questions please feel free to ask them.

_________________________

If you are satisfied with my answer, please push "accept" so that I can be paid. BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are not expected, but are always appreciated.