Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have liver damage and recently had hernia surgery. i was…

Customer Question
I have liver damage and...
I have liver damage and recently had hernia
surgery. i was given pain medication that
was the worst thing I could of taken. now i
am retaining fluid like crazy. what do I do to get rid of this
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/20/2010
Doctor: Dr. Shah, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Welcome to Just answer!

Are you retaining fluid in your leg only? How is your liver function test? Do you have pain right upper abdomen? Any other associated symptoms? Is your symptoms getting better or worse?
I am retaining fluid in my abdomen. I gained 14 lbs last week alone
Thank you for the information.
Based on your description, you don't seem to have acute symptoms such as pain abdomen or breathing difficulty. Looking at your history, abdominal fluid retention is very likely due to liver problem. I see that you are already on diuretics, manytimes diuretics dose adjustments along with salt restrictions are helpful. Most commonly prescribed diuretics for this purpose are spironolactone and furosemide. Even these two meds can be used in combination for better outcome. When these measures does not work or have breathing difficulty, therapeutic paracentesis is considered. I think, you need to get it evaluated by a liver specialist and go for routine blood test and blood biochemistry test to see the status and adjust the medication as per your need.
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
please cancel request