Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I suffer cluster headaches, i am 26, female and have

Customer Question
suffered since as far back...
i suffer cluster headaches, i am 26, female and have suffered since as far back as i can remember, i have long periods of remission, owever, when they return it's always more intense, nothing works, i have just been given maxalt (melts) do you think they will work for me? x
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/20/2010
Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Sorry to hear about you.

Which medications you were using previously?

Have you seen a neurologist?

Any investigations?

Regards

i have had an MRI, been on propranalol, verapamil, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan nasal spray, sumatriptan injections. I have 2 small children and my partner works away. I bang my head against walls, get really adgitated, practically scream in agony.....my father suffered with these also before he died, he suffered for 12 years.

Sharon x

Thanks for your input.

Maxalt is used to relieve not only the headache but the other symptoms of cluster headache attacks. It does not work for other types of headaches. In cluster headache blood vessels in the brain dilate, or widen, resulting in a throbbing pain. this drug decreases this widening, returning the blood vessels to their normal size, and therefore helps to relieve the pain. It also blocks the release of certain chemicals from nerve endings that cause more pain and other symptoms of migraine. so i hope this will help you. I hope you are aware of the things you need to avoid like cheese, dairy products, chocolate, caffeine, alcohol etc, as all of these trigger the cluster headache.

Start taking the drug as prescribed by the doctor and i hope you will get benefit.

Regards

With prayers

Click the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied

Dr Hasan

Thank you very much, no one has ever made me aware of things to avoid eating or drinking, i very rarely drink alcohol anyway, when you say caffine and dairy products, do you mean drinks and milk, yoghurt etc?

Sharon x

yes milk and yogurt are dairy products. they actually act as triggers.

good luck