Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 23 year old female, I have never been sexually

Customer Question
active. I am waiting until...
I am a 23 year old female, I have never been sexually active. I am waiting until marriage. My sister had her girlfriend living with us and at the time we did not know that she was shooting up drugs. I used to leave my razors in the bathroom and I am pretty sure she used them several times. I was tested on November 24th for HIV and again on April 18th for HIV and Hep A,B & C. All were negative. Recently, I cut my finger with a knife while cutting vegatables andc my finger was bleeding, I don't know if anyone used them before me or how recent. Shortly after that, I was going to use nail clippers but was spraying them off with everywhere bleach and whatever was on the nail clippers and the bleach got into my cut. I was tested after the exposure with the knife and nail clippers 5.7 weeks after and it was also negative. Should I be tested again since I was 4 days short of 6 weeks and was there a risk of HIV or Hep from the exposures of the knife and or nail clippers.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/19/2010
Doctor: Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
It would be very unlikely that you have HIV or any Hepatitis from what you describe - and since almost 6 weeks and negative, you do NOT need to be tested again.
that 5.7 week test is concerned conclusive?
This would be fairly conclusive - I usually say 6 weeks - but essentially 5.7 weeks is 6 weeks.

I have had severe anxiety over this for several months since the first test in November, what would you recommend for this stress? Do you think re-testing is recommended? or should I let this go and move on?

If you really want to relieve the stress - get another test for HIV and Hepatitis - and then this will put this to 'bed' for you.