Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 2 & 4 yr old have chronic runny noses (SINUS INFECTIONS)

Customer Question
Hi. My 2 & 4...
Hi. My 2 & 4 yr old have chronic runny noses (SINUS INFECTIONS) for appx. 2 yrs which subside with antibiotics and start again within a week or two. Sometimes there's a fever, sometimes there isn't. I've had their blood tested for allergies (they have none), been to the ENT (adnoids aren't enlarged), house has been checked for mold & dust, air units cleaned/sealed and ducts cleaned. What could be causing BOTH of them to have such frequent sinus infections and how do we treat this? Could the BOTH be allergic to something the test didn't identify?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/19/2010
Doctor: Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer:

Recurrent sinus infections, either due to bacterial or virus, are often associated with chronic sinusitis. The conditions that cause this include nasal polyps, deviated septum, severe allergies or other medical condition such as cystic fibrosis or inherited immunoglobin and/or complement deficiencies.
Nasal polyps are tiny growths in the nasal cavity, and often common in persons with asthma or allergies. In general, the cause of nasal polyps is mostly not well unknown, however, it is treatable with steroid nasal sprays or by surgery. These polyps cause obstruction in the nasal passages leading to inadequate drainage and breathing difficulty. The accumulated mucus, moist and warm environment become risk for infection. In there is deviated septum, the normal drainage is slowed causing reoccurring sinusitis.

Severe allergies predispose to reoccurring sinus infections. One of the most common symptoms of an allergic reaction is nasal congestion and drainage problem. In this case, to reduce the risk of developing reoccurring sinus infections, I suggest that she maintain regular use overt the counter or prescription Zyretc-D with a decongestant, as well as oral antibiotics as needed. I also suggest that their doctors evaluate them closely with blood work to exclude other underlying medical condition including cystic fibrosis or inherited Immunoglobulin and/or complement deficiencies. It is also important to order a CT Scan of the sinus to exclude any sinus bone infection not adequately treated.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.