Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been having pain in my upper left side for quite a

Customer Question
while now I had some...
I've been having pain in my upper left side for quite a while now I had some blood work done like Vitamin B12 and folate and complete blood count and a chromogranin A test my GI doctor called me today and said that most tests were just fine like the vitamin and blood count but she said one was boarderline so she wants me to do more blood work and a urine test and an MRI to see my blood vessels inside I am going to have a small Bowel follow up on the 28th what do you think that one test is that is boarderline and what other tests do you think she wants me to have done do you think I could have cancer
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/18/2010
Doctor: Dr. Tharun, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor

The Chromogranin A test is done to detect for carcinoid tumors in the intestine or neuro endocrine tumors.
If it is positive or borderline then further tests like catecholamine levels in blood and VMA in urine are done.Scans are done to look out for any lesions in the bowel or along the vessels.

Your doctor is suspecting a carcinoid tumor because of a possible borderline Chromogranin test.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

Dr.Tharun