Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had 3 miscarriages in the last 6 months. All ending…

Customer Question
Hi. I have had 3...
Hi. I have had 3 miscarriages in the last 6 months. All ending by 7 weeks. I took a pregnancy test and got a positive digital result by EPT that said positive, last night aprox 10pm. I had my blood taken today at 10 AM to test my hcg levels and it came back .05. Im not even sure how I got a positive urine test if its that low. Could I still be pregnant with HCG levels so low. I am only 24 years old and have a 3 year old son...no problems conciving him. What are my chances that the urine tests are right and the blood HCG will keep rising? If I do miscarry...what are my options now with 4 miscarriages. No Dr will do anything...or look into what is going on?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2010
Doctor: Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Do you currently have a Positive urine test?
Where was your son born in relation to the 4 miscarriages?
Is your son from a different father?

yes i currently have a positive urine test.

I have only had 3 miscarriages, this would be my 4th and they have all happened in 2010, after my son was born.

Same father

Then what is the UNITS of the blood test? Because this does NOT make sense because you can have a Negative urine test with a positive blood test, but NOT the other way around.
I know. It doesnt make sense. My blood test today says 0.5. But my urine test is positive. I dont get it!
BUT what are the units of the blood test - because HONESTLY a blood HCT test can NOT measure below 1.2 - so your blood test might actually be 50 or 500 or 5000 - but honestly it is NOT 0.5 - that is also impossible.
When I called the lab the # they gave me was .05? Ill call again. Cuz you are saying HCG can't be below 1.2?
Because - there is NO lab that can measure below 1.2 today - a few years ago it was 5.0 - but today we can measure as low as 1.2 - and my guess there is something wrong with the lab, they are giving an erroneous lab result, or they have no idea what they are doing.
But, for all the miscarriages - you need to be evaluated for a Thrombophilia - (a blood clotting set of disorders), also you need to be evaluated for PCOS - Polycystic ovarian syndrome, and even a progesteone dysfunction disorder.

The lab said it is less than 5.0, i called again...I must have heard them wrong or they gave it to me wrong. But the home test said positive last night. Could a urine test be right...even with the blood results so low? Or could I have had false negitive even though I used a Digital EPT test that said PREGNANT?

I am on Progesterone (could that give a false positive?)and taking a baby asprin but the Doctors haven't tested me. Should they...or should I just keep taking those and try again?

5 is essentially NOT pregnant - and at this point - I would make an appointment with your doctor for about a week from now - because this is not much that can be done at this point except to wait. You are getting misleading results so, I would wait for a week and Re-do the blood test then. DO NOT do any more urine tests - leave the urine tests alone.

Also, if you want to get pregnant - GET OFF the progesterone - until you are confirmed PREGNANT - because PRIOR To that progesteone can cause a miscarriage.
Why would my Doc perscribe it to me then? He told me to take it to make sure there is enough in my system to help in the first few weeks of Pregnancy...before I even know I am pregnant? So it's important to take it before?
Your doctor might not know what he/she is doing, believe me, I see many doctors who prescribe medications and they have no idea what the medications really do in the body. No DO NOT take prior to a confirmed pregnancy and that means confirmed with rising quants or a confirmed fetus in the uterus.
If satisfied with my answers please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated for all that I have done, Thank you.
Thank you