Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I hope you can please help me. I have been having some

Customer Question
Hi, I hope you can...
Hi, I hope you can please help me. I have been having some symptoms over the past year or so, and now over the past week the most severe one is that a lot of my hair is coming out when I wash it or brush it. I have put on about 20 pounds over the past year and a half (never been overweight in my life before) that I am finding nearly impossible to lose, I have constant headaches, and the glands in my lower neck/shoulders are highly pronounced. Everything I've read online points to my thyroid, and I have ordered supplements with iodine to begin taking right away. Will this help to correct my problem? I lost my job recently and have no insurance to see a doctor, and I don't know where to turn. Please help me ASAP, I would really appreciate it! Sincerely, Bonnie
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/18/2010
Doctor: Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Haroon Iqbal
Hello and welcome to justanswer!

Do you feel fatigue or depression?

Any muscle camps or constipation?

exhaustion and brain fog?
About Menstruation , increased?

Do you have any other infective condition?

Hi Dr. Iqbal,

Yes, I'm experiencing lots of fatigue and depression. My menstruation has been about the same, heavier than it used to be on the first two days, but nothing crazy. I have had lots of muscle cramping in my lower back especially. And yes, I have been foggy in my head with difficulty concentrating. Mostly, the increased hair loss has me very, very concerned and troubled.

Thank you for your help. Please keep in mind I was laid off from my job, and I have no medical insurance. I cannot afford to go to see a doctor, which is why I'm trying to get help this way. If I need a prescription (as opposed to the iodine supplements) can you give it to me? I'm desperate! Thank you...

Thank you very much for your kind input.

Although you have many symptoms , consistent with hypothyroidism , but even then , you need to do certain tests to conform the diagnosis.The tests are simple blood tests , like hormone tests of T3 and T4 the two hormones .But most important is TSH , the hormone from the pituitary , to confirm because this hormone is more , means the level of active thyroid hormone id less causing negative feed back.This finding confirms the diagnosis.If the hormone level of a person is less , we prescribe SYNTHROID or LEVOXYL for him/her.So please do these tests first.For detailed review please visit,
http://www.medicinenet.com/hypothyroidism/page5.htm#toc7at
Hope i have answered your question.

As I mentioned, I have no money to go and pay full price for tests, I lost my insurance. So unfortunately, this answer doesn't help me. You basically just told me to go see a doctor.

You are right but how can i prescribe medicine without tests?I have already told you the medicine for hypothyroidism and you are most likely to be hypothyroid according to information you have furnished.

Again, I have no insurance or money to see a doctor, which is why I wrote to you. I will take my supplements and get better. I was hoping you would have some sort of additional advice or info on supplements. Thanks.

Doctor: The Physician, Doctor replied 8 years ago
The Physician

Hello

Greetings again from justanswer.com

Bonnie, you can understand the dilemma anyone who would want to advice you faces. Medically, it would be difficult to arrive at any diagnosis with your complaints, without some form of blood tests and physical evaluation.

There are many metabolic disorders that could present in a similar way. CUSHINGS SYNDROME, HYPOTHYROIDISM, etc.

Suggesting a particular supplement without any blood tests may be counterproductive.

Anytime you have the headache, please do go to the emergency room or ant after-hours clinic near you.

To counter the effects like allopaecia or thin hair, get a very high potent multivitamin, with antioxidants. Omega H3 prepared by Vitabiotics for increased metabolism and organ functions, they also have a special hair and nail preparation. ASK YOUR LOCAL COMMUNITY PHARMACY.