Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been ejaculating blood for a few weeks now. The first…

Customer Question
Hello, I have been ejaculating blood...
I have been ejaculating blood for a few weeks now. The first time it was a dark brownish color, the next few times it was more of a blood red. The last time it was a combination of sperm colored and red. I have an appointment with a urologist on Monday but am quite freaked out in the meanwhile. This has never happened to me before. I am a 59 year old smoker. My physician did a prostate exam and bloodwork and ruled out prostate cancer.
Any info on what might be causing this and what it is going to take to fix it would be much appreciated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/18/2010
Doctor: Dr. Tharun, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor

Is there any fever?

Any burning in the urine?

Any weight loss or loss of appetite?

Bony pain or back pain?

Please let me know

Regards

Dr.Tharun
No fever or painful urination. No back pain or loss of appetite. I HAVE lost 40 pounds over the last year on the Atkins program, but that weight was all lost before this came up. My wife has also lost some weight, and our sex life, up until this problem came up, was better than it has ever been.

Thanks for the answers.

There could two common cause of the blood in the semen.First is prostitis which is infection of the prostate gland.

Other cause is enlarged prostate which could benign (harmless) or cancerous.

Other possibilities is injuries to the urethra (tube which passes the urine from the bladder).Since you have no injury history there are less chances of it.

You need to do a urine examination and semen analysis for testing of infection. Also a PSA (blood) test would be advisable if not done.

An ultrasound of the prostate after rectal examination would also be helpful.

If it is prostitis then it resolves gradually with medicines(Antibiotics) and time. Enlargement has to be treated appropriately with medications that shrink the gland.

I hope this helps you.

Regards

Dr.Tharun