Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

WHO IS THE FOREMOST AUTHORITY FOR SMA DISORDER?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/18/2010
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Do you mean Spinal Muscular Atrophy? Is this questions relating to your daughter? Please let me know. Regards

Yes. SMA Syndrome. Not my daughter , a very close friend's child. I was wondering who in the USA might be the leading physician in this realm.

Well, the main thing that you should understand is that, unfortunately there is no definitive treatment for SMA syndrome and the only treatment that we can offer is supportive treatment. The best doctors who can manage these patients are pediatric neurologists. However like I mentioned even with doctors who have extensive experience in managing these patients there is very little that one can offer other than supportive care. Regards