Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am experiencing tingling on face, in nose and mouth, down…

Customer Question
I am experiencing tingling on...
I am experiencing tingling on face, in nose and mouth, down arms, in buttocks, thighs and calves (at least) since discharge from cas. following a severe haemorrhage from gut. I'm not conscious of it all the time and not in all these areas all the time but frequently. I have had some milder episodes of this previously - I have severe fibromyalgia but have for some time been able to get away without taking my medication, 'cymbalta' as the side effects made life difficult and a severe flare-up following surgery had subsided. Most days I take folic acid. Am 75 and very atopic.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/18/2010
Doctor: Dr. R. Bora, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Hello, welcome to just answer and thank you for your question.

The tingling in your body could be due to fibromyalgia as many indiduals have been found to complain about tingling and numbness. Its known as paresthesia, these feelings of numbness or tingling are reported by roughly half of all fibromyalgia patients.

The cause of numbness and tingling in fibromyalgia is unknown. These symptoms don't follow any anatomic or nerve pattern, and they tend to come and go in different parts of the body.

You can take multivitamin supplements containing B complexes.

I hope my answer was helpful to you.Please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button to accept the answer. FEEDBACK and BONUS would be highly appreciated.

I cannot possibly say so soon whether your answer was helpful or not. My path test showed that my haemoglobin is very low but I'm told I cannot take an iron supplement before my colonoscopy which is scheduled for ASAP. Most multivitamins contain iron so I am simply trying to increase the iron in my diet for the moment.

Your suggestion re the B vitamins may prove helpful eventually - it seems obvious of course but had not been suggested to me to date, partly I imagine because fibromyalgia is a condition still regarded with some suspicion in this country. All vitamin B supplements here, except B1, are sold in combination with other ingredients, e.g. folic acid which I am very high in. The chemist tells me that the culprit is most likey to be B1 which I know is given by injection so shall have to consult my doctor. If that proves helpful then I shall certainly accept your answer and despite my now being a pensioner may be willing to pay more.

Please don't keep hounding me for an acceptance in the meantime.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the drug duloxetine (Cymbalta) for treating fibromyalgia. In studies, duloxetine reduced fibromyalgia pain by more than 30%.

The anti-epileptic drug pregabalin is effective at improving pain, tingling and numbness as well as seep in three different doses (300 mg, 450 mg, and 600 mg), and the drug is well tolerated by fibromyalgia patients.