Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 50 year old woman. .For years now while I'm sleeping…

Customer Question
I am 50 year old...
I am 50 year old woman. My name is ***** ***** now while I'm sleeping all of a sudden I feel kind of conscious however I feel paralised but aware of what is happening.I start whimpering like a child or hurt animal and cannot get out of the situation unless my partner shakes me and then I seem okay.Last night was one of the worst occurances. I haave a lot of stress at work and personally at present.But I'm a bit conscerned that the problem might leed to a stroke or the like,could you please advise.Thanks Rose Ocde.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/18/2010
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
DearCustomer
Hello.Have you had any previous attacks of such paralysis?Any history of Hypertension or Diabetes,any family history of CNS or heart disease,generalised anxiety or panic disorder/depression?Are you on any medication currently?Are you currently under a lot of stress or have had a very stressful event lately?What are your exercise levels like and what is your weight and height like?Please give me more information.thanks.
i am taking pill for hypertension. Also, i have history of family heart disease and i am depress and stress a lot. I walk a lot, playing golf - but not in a last month. I am 5'4" weighing 8.5 stone.
I feel the stress and depression,has affected you at times in a physical way.This may be due to something untowards ,which you are trying to get away from.I suggest you see your doctor/PCP who can advise you further after hearing your problem.You may need antianxiety medicines like Buspirone /Clonazepam and a antidepressant like Venlaflaxine/Sertaline.You also may need counselling ,relaxing in the company of friends and family will help.You need to keep a close check on your blood pressure,and increasing your exercise levels will help.