Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am an lpn with little experience with broken bones. I am…

Customer Question
i am an lpn with...
i am an lpn with little experience with broken bones. I am positive i broke my foot last night. I can palpate approx 1 inch indentation on top of foot. i have splintered foot. i am at a 7 pain scale at rest and a 10 with movement. can i tough it out at home or should i go to er
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/18/2010
Doctor: Dr Jones, Board Certified MD replied 8 years ago
Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Welcome to just answer.

I think before deciding that getting a xray of foot done to evaluate the extent of bony injury would be a good idea. Even though fractures if immobilised properly can heal on their own, there are multiple issues like displacement of fracture fragments, joint involvement and surrounding soft tissue structure injury etc which need consideration before opting for any treatment. And nonunion and malunion of fractures are also known which might be at times difficult to treat.

So I would surely suggest you to get a xray done and also see a doctor. Meanwhile oral analgesics(NSAIDs) like ibuprofen can provide some relief from pain.

Please ask if you want me to explain anything or if there are any further questions.
I was hoping you could be specific to things to assess. i dont want to go to er if not needed. what are thing i can assess myself

Begin the physical examination by inspecting for swelling and ecchymosis and by palpating for areas of maximal tenderness. However, swelling is time-dependent and may be an unreliable indicator of the presence or the severity of th injury. Generally, more severe injuries are accompanied by more severe swelling.

• Using good light, palpate the foot for crepitation.
  • Assess the range of motion in plantar flexion, dorsiflexion, inversion, and eversion.
  • Assess ligamentous laxity with movement.
  • Assess and document the neurovascular status by close observing the foot movements.

• Crepitation felt during palpation is suggestive of underlying fracture pathology and necessitates radiologic examination.
  • Check the joint above and below the area of chief complaint in order to not miss concomitant adjacent fractures.
  • Palpate over the proximal fifth metatarsal and navicular for tenderness.
  • Palpate the soft tissues, including ligamentous areas, peroneal and posterior tibial tendons, and the anterior process of the calcaneus, to assess injury to these areas.
  • Palpate for tenderness over the proximal fibula to exclude potential fracture
  • Assess strength in resisted external and internal rotation, ankle plantarflexion, dorsiflexion, supination, and pronation. This will help to assesses ligament injury.
  • Feel the dorsalis pedis artery just proximal to great toe.Watch out for the color of toes.