Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Dear Doctor, I'm assuming my original question has gotten…

Customer Question
Dear Doctor, I'm assuming my original...
Dear Doctor,
I'm assuming my original question has gotten lost , I am going to try again.
A week ago monday I began having a very heavy discharge from both the vagina and the urinary track. I am 70 years old . Last Thursday the discharge became so heavy I went to urgent care, A vagina culture indicating negative and urine test was done, indicating a bactorial infection. I was given a antibotic which has been positively useless.
Since that time I have gone to see my internist, she ordered a pelvic cat scan. I have received no results. After 10 days I am desperate for answers ,the odor ,discharge and pelvic pain are unbearable.
I do have a medical history , cancer,diabetic,kidney disease,high blood pressure and more.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/18/2010
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Was the urine checked under the microscope or a culture or both? (A culture would take a couple days to have a result)

Was the urine test repeated after the antibiotics did not work?

The hospital lab ran a cultural on thursday I received the results on monday. The urine was only ran once.

Do you have the results of the culture? It would indicate what germ grew in the culture and what antibiotics it tested sensitive to.

They only tested for venerial disease which all tested negative.

There are several possible causes of these symptoms.

A vaginal discharge and pelvic pain is concerning about an infection of the female organs. Although sexually transmitted germs can be demonstrated in many of these infections, there still can be an infection if the tests for sexually transmitted diseases are negative. It may be that this is what is suspected by your physician in referring you to a Gynecologist. A vaginal discharge and pelvic pain can also be associated with other diseases of the female tract, such either benign or malignant growths.

An infection of the urinary tract can also cause pus in the urine and pelvic and abdominal pain. Kidney cysts are usually incidental findings, but whether it is worrisome depends upon the appearance on the CT scan. There are several possible meanings of an infection in the stomach, but can spread from infections of the female or urinary tract or be a separate infection within the gastrointestinal tract.

Cephalexin is a good antibiotic for many infections, but there are also many germs that are not sufficiently treated by it. An evaluation by a Gynecologist would be the logical next step, who will need to perform further evaluation and consider the use of a different antibiotic.

lt;p>Dear Dr. D,</p><p>There is one area you did not address, and that was the question ofthe colon area. Two years ago I had a colonosopy, I had a large precancerous polyp. Could sympthoms like constant constiputation and bleeding cause this discharge. By the way I asked my doctor could a OBYGN doctor be helpful in helping her to make a diagnosis.</p>

It is unlikely that another polyp would develop to cause significant symptoms in just two years, which is why the frequency for repeating the colonoscopy is usually 3-5 years, depending upon the clinical situation. Constipation, a polyp or colon bleeding would not typically cause this discharge. An infection of the colon could disseminate and affect other abdominal organs, which would be one of the possible types of infections that could be meant by an infection of the stomach, as noted above.

Dear Dr. D,

Thank you for your patience and understanding, I do understand thank every doctor has their own thinking and treatments. Since I talked to you a few days ago I 've had a pelvic ultra sound and another urine check. Thank you again for medical possibilities I may be suffering from.

You're welcome. I hope that you get better soon.