Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can i take amoxicillin for urine infection.i have these

Customer Question
medicine but i forgot for...
can i take amoxicillin for urine infection.i have these medicine but i forgot for what it was for.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/18/2010
Doctor: Dr. Monica, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Monica
Dr. Monica, Board Certified Physician
Hello-

You can take amoxicillin for a urine infection, but there is a high likelihood that the bacteria causing the infection will be resistant to it. If you are otherwise healthy, you can try taking the amoxicillin, 500 mg twice a day, and then drink plenty of fluids (and you can try acidic fluids like cranberry juice). 3 days of treatment is usually enough. If this doesn't help, you probably need a different antibiotic that is more commonly used for UTIs such as Bactrim or Ciprofloxacin. But there is a chance that your body will heal itself or that the amoxicillin will help, so you can try that first.

If you feel worse, get fever, chills, back pain, or start vomiting, then you could have a kidney infection which is serious and you should be seen immediately.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have questions.

Best,
Dr. Monica