Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I found out I'm pregnant 3 days ago. If I calculate how far…

Customer Question
Hi, I found out I'm...
Hi, I found out I'm pregnant 3 days ago. If I calculate how far along I might be, I say 4 maybe 5 weeks pregnant. Up until 2 weeks ago, I was drinking alcohol and smoking. I'd say I was was having a beer a day, maybe 2-3 glasses of wine occasionally (twice a week if that). My current symptoms are cramps, cravings and my breast swollen and tenderness.
Could my baby have problems such as Fetal Alcohol Syndrome? Or any other problems?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/17/2010
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

There is no level of alcohol intake that has been found to have no risk for fetal alcohol syndrome. The risk is greater with more intake. The symptoms are consistent with pregnancy and is not indicative of any problem with the pregnancy. The best that can be done at this point is to avoid any substance that can harm the baby once it is known that you are pregnant.

Is there a hight likely hood of the baby having problems? I understand that the exact alcohol intake amount cannot be determined when it becomes a risk but are the chances of the baby having problems pretty high? Is there some sort of medical exam or way of determining if the baby has problems such as birth defects of any sort of fetal syndromes?

The risk to the infant at this point would not be high. The evidence in women with low intake of alcohol (1 drink per day) is controversial, with variable results in different studies. Even in the worse case scenario, though, the risk is not high. Certainly in heavy drinkers, the risk is high, but even in heavy drinkers, the risk varies according to studies - from 4% to 44%.

There are many different potential effects of the fetal alcohol syndrome and only a few of them can be detected early in pregnancy. An ultrasound performed in the early second trimester can detect a variety of birth defects, including many that are not part of the fetal alcohol syndrome. The primary method of detecting fetal alcohol syndrome is by examination of the child after delivery and over time.

I understand what your are saying. I'm just really worried about the infant having issues. I'm really contemplating terminating the pregnancy because I'm worried that the infant might have problems.

The current recommendations say that there is no reason to terminate pregnancy in a woman with low alcohol intake. But it is recommended that now that you know that you are pregnant, you should not have any further alcohol intake.