Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have noticed latley that I seem to be slurring at least 2…

Customer Question
Hi, I have noticed latley that...

I have noticed latley that I seem to be slurring at least 2 -3 times threw out the day. I also can't seem to get my thoughs in order when telling a story.
I don't understand what has caused this to happen. I am generally very shy and get nervous around people; but I have always been like that and did not seem to slurr my words before. I do have morning headaches but they pass during the day. I also do have a slow active thyroid which I am treating with medication. If I need to see a doctor what type should I see and is this a very big concern?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/17/2010
Doctor: khagihara, Doctor replied 8 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
You should see a neurologist.
Here is a list of the causes.
  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease)
  • Brain injury
  • Brain tumor
  • Cerebral palsy
  • Guillain-Barre syndrome
  • Head injury
  • Huntington's disease
  • Lyme disease
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Myasthenia gravis
  • Parkinson's disease
  • Stroke
  • Wilson's disease

Some medications, such as narcotics or sedatives, also may cause dysarthria.

do you thing I should definatley see a doctor and that this is a concern?
You should see a doctor. Slurring is not normal.