Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with shingles almost 5 weeks ago. I had a…

Customer Question
I was diagnosed with shingles...
I was diagnosed with shingles almost 5 weeks ago. I had a small rash on my neck and got to the doctor early. I recieved antiviral shota and medication. Unfortunately I didn't get the rest I probably needed because of work. The doctor said 1-2 months for symptoms to subside. I am still experiencing headaches, stiff neck,warm and achey muscles. I feel tired. Somedays I feel like I'm getting better and other days I feel worse. Is this to be expected?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/17/2010
Doctor: Dr. Amir, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Thanks for your question. I would like to have few details from you. what medications you are taking now beside antivirals? neck stiffness is still there or its getting better? any fever with it?
I only took antivirals the first week after I was diagnosed. I am on prempro.The neck stiffness like the other symptoms seems to come and go. I didn't have it yesterday but I have it today.I feel like I have a low grade fever that also seems to come and go.
Thanks for your details. I have reviewed your symptoms in detail and come to the conclusion that yes these symptoms in shingles do comes and goes which is a normal thing and it would take about 4-8 weeks time and some times even longer to recover depending upon the severity of shingles caused by varicella zoster. You can take pain killers like Tab. Motrin for pain relief and can apply calamine lotion if there is any itching there on skin. You need to take bed rest as much as you can and eat healthy diet more of proteins. I will also suggest you to take vitamin B complex one tablet daily. Follow up with your doctor is highly recommended. Best wishes.

Do ACCEPT the answer if you find it useful in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed