Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What could be causing my body aches, upper left side abdomen…

Customer Question
What could be causing my...
What could be causing my body aches, upper left side abdomen pain that goes to the back, extreme tiredness, feeling hot when I sleep and cold when awake, chest pain and feeling week
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/18/2010
Doctor: Dr. Pravin, Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician
Hello
A radiating pain of the upper left abdomen to the back could be due to following reasons:
Spleen enlargement
Kidney stones ( Renal Calculi) in the left kidney
Tumor or Growth mass in the left kidney
It is very important to undergo a few investigations to come to a diagnosis.
These include:
Xray of the Abdomen
Ultrasonography of the abdomen
Urine for casts , microscopy
All these will help in coming to a diagnosis and help rule out malignant or a non malignant condition
Regards
Do you know any blood test called chromagranate A or something like that
mine was a little bit low
Hello
Chromogranin A test :
The Chromogranin A test is used as a tumor marker. It may be ordered in combination with or in place of 5-HIAA to help diagnose carcinoid tumors. It is also used to help monitor the effectiveness of treatment and detect recurrence of this tumor. Sometimes it may be ordered with specific hormones, such as catecholamines, to help diagnose and monitor a pheochromocytoma. It may also be used to detect the presence of other neuroendocrine tumors, even those that do not secrete hormones.
CgA is ordered along with other tests when a doctor suspects that a patient has a carcinoid tumor, pheochromocytoma, or other neuroendocrine tumor. It may be ordered periodically to help evaluate treatment effectiveness and monitor for tumor recurrence.
Chromogranin A concentrations are normally low. So you may not worry .
Increased levels in a symptomatic patient may indicate the presence of a tumor but will not tell the doctor what type it is or where it is. The quantity of CgA is not associated with the severity of a patient's symptoms but is associated with the tumor burden - the mass of the tumor.
If concentrations of CgA are elevated prior to treatment and then fall, then treatment is likely to have been effective. If monitored levels begin to rise, then the patient may have a recurrence of the tumor.
Regards
What additional tests do they do if the the Chromogranin A test is boarderline my GI doctor called and wants me to have more blood tests and urine test because one test that I had done was boarderline. Now I am getting nervous do you think I could have cancer.
Doctor: The Physician, Doctor replied 8 years ago
The Physician

Greetings

Please there is no need to get nervous, Chromogranin A is not used in isolation to diagnose carcinoid tumors. So if it is borderline, thats not enough to make the diagnosis, which is why your doctor is going to check your urine for 5HIAA levels over a 24hour urine sample. There are food items you will be told to avoid 3-4 days before the urine test

You may also need an MRI to see if it can be located

The other fact is that Carcinoid tumors are not all malignant (Cancer) Some are benign, and even the malignant ones are slow growing.

Here we are assuming that the diagnosis is CONFIRMED. Your abdominal pain can be due to so many other things from kidney stones to peptic ulcer.

I am sure the GI doctor will rule rule out these