Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Two questions 1. I've recently been treated for basal cell…

Customer Question
two questions 1. I've recently...
two questions 1. I've recently been treated for basal cell carcinoma on my face. Then, a few days ago, I noticed a very small white spot on my nose (sometimes I pick at my blackheads, so I don't know if it's from that or what). But I went to my dermatologist, and even though she said she thought it was unlikely it was malignant, there was a very small chance it could be morpheaform basal cell. I've read that this cancer is horribly disfiguring. But since I just noticed it (and I've been inspecting myself pretty carefully) could it perhaps not be that bad, if the biopsy comes back positive? 2. Also, I've been informed by one of your doctors that due to my young age (31) and the fact that I've already had two BCCs (though they appeared years apart) I am without a doubt going to have many, many more cancers in my lifetime. Is this absolutely true? Is there anything I can do to make this less likely?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/17/2010
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 years ago

I understand your concern. If it just appeared, it's unlikely to be cancer, but only a biopsy can tell for sure. Basal cell carcinoma, treated early, doesn't have to be disfiguring, especially if it only requires cryosurgery or cauterization. As to the likelihood of more BCC's, you're obviously at risk, and the only prevention you can take is avoidance of undue sun exposure and use of sun block and clothing when outdoors.

Is it likely that I'll develop, like, 20 more, though, or just a couple?
Without significant sun exposure, I doubt you'll have 20+, but you could get more. So long as you and your doctors carefully monitor your skin, even if you do, as I said, they don't have to be disfiguring or deadly.