Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My niece has a mass on her adreline gland. She was brain…

Customer Question
My niece has a mass...
My niece has a mass on her adreline gland. She was brain damaged at birth. He IQ is 67. She has been to umpteen doctors who are treating fibroyalgia, depression, stomach aches etc, etc, etc. She screams and cries like a 3 year old for over 6 months now. My daughter is Dr. Ryan - with degrees in nutrition and psychology. She said today.... FOR GOSH SAKES.... get that tumor out immediately. That could be all her problems. What do you think before I tell my sister's family what we think. We all get along, but my sister has the beginning of dementia and needs help, and as of now she is looking frantically doctor to doctor and then can't remember what they said.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/17/2010
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 years ago
Do you know the diagnosis for the tumor and how large it is?
What was stated by the mother was "as large mass on her adrenal gland". I should have asked more but did not.
your sister thinks the mass needs removal?

You didnt say what else you wanted

Sorry--but the story is complicated. Who thinks the tumor is her main problem?
All I want is a quick opinion (a guess is ok) that someone with this 'large non cancerous mass on an adrenal gland' needs it removed: Usually? Sometimes?Always? The girl is miserable for months and all else has been ruled out.
Well, it's a little difficult without seeing the actual scans, etc., to give you a simple answer. If it's noncancerous and not an adenoma that's secreting cortisol and causing metabolic problems, it wouldn't necessarily cause pain or discomfort, and, therefore, woundn't need to be removed. It's unusual, thought, if this is an adrenal tumor, for it not to be cancer or a secreting adenoma, and, so, these are usually removed.