Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Im hoping one of you professionals docs may be able to

Customer Question
Hi there! Im hoping...
Hi there! Im hoping one of you professionals docs may be able to suggest an answer to my concern of having a fever present now for over three (3) days and some very sharp almost stabbing pains in my mid back area that worstened upon breathing this a.m. I am a 43 yo woman with two children 18, and 14 and have had successful vaginal births and never have had any previous medical concerns.... I noticed however, this am when breathing in it caused severe pain in the lower shoulder region that was deep in the back chest area that has subsided since. I still feel some uncomfort but not as serious as this a.m. The pain this morning felt as though something would pop if I breathed in too deep but almost that I had to do so in order to get rid of this pain... I hope Im making sense and will wait to hear! thanks!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/17/2010
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

How high has the fever been?

Are you having any other symptoms? Cough? Shortness of breath?

What dose of Advil did you take?

Do you smoke?

I tried two of the extra strength capsules of Advil, I didnt have a cough and did smoke on and off for several years...

Thank you for the additional information.

The type of pain that you describe is typical of irritation or inflammation of the pleura, the lining around the lung. This condition is referred to as pleuritis or pleurisy. Pleuritic pain can occur in the front, side, or back of the chest, and typically is worse with a deep breath. This occurs most often because of a viral infection, particularly if the only symptoms are a fever and the pain. Pleuritis can also occur associated with bacterial infections within the chest, such as pneumonia or bronchitis, but these infections will usually also cause other symptoms. The fact that you have a history of smoking does increase the risk of having one of these infections, though. Pleuritis can also occur as a primary inflammatory condition, frequently as part of a diffuse inflammatory disease, such as lupus, but this also would tend to cause other symptoms. Since this has been present for only a few days and you are having no other symptoms, it would be reasonable to continue symptomatic relief to see if it resolves spontaneously, as would be expected from a viral infection. Ibuprofen is a good drug to relieve inflammation, but higher doses are typically needed than are used for headache or fever. Relief of inflammation requires 1600 - 2400 mg per day, in 3-4 divided doses. There are prescription strengths of 600 and 800 mg, or an equivalent amount of the over the counter pills can be used. If the pain is more severe or persists or if you develop other symptoms, then you should be seen.