Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have recently been diagnosed with hardening of the

Customer Question
arteries of the brain and...
I have recently been diagnosed with hardening of the arteries of the brain and tachycardia. I have 4 stents in R leg and 1 in left(PAD) placed in 2004. Am I at risk for a stroke? Is there any treatment. I have had in the past, cold sores (herpes) and hepetitus (A I think while living in Peru) I have read that these inflammatory conditions lead to heart and circulatory problems. Would it help to take an immune system booster such as Isoniplex? I am currently taking amlodipine and losartan, 1 a day for high blood pressure, an also Vastarel (France) and Citicoline to soften blood vessels I think. MY symptoms are malaise, fatigue, dizziness, loss of balance and a mild headache. I will be 85 in July. I am a female. Thank you so much. MaryLu Tosi (*****@******.***)
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/17/2010
Doctor: Dr. Salar, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Salar
Dr. Salar, Doctor
stroke and heart attack is possible with hardening of vessels. isoniplex will not help. you need to control blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar. daily walk/exercise will help. dizziness and balance issues can be part of aging or also due to side effects of medicine. important to rule out problems with eyes, ear . please have your blood pressure checked.nothing else is needed to be done at this time.
My cholesterol is180, blood sugar 88, I have tried amlodipine, losartan and cardizem and can't get my blood pressure down (165/92). Have checked with ENT, ears are fine. Have macular degeneration , stabilized (?) with 13 shots of lucentis, I do 15 minutes of dancing every day. I have been taking blood pressure meds or several years and just recently developed dizziness which is seriously affecting my quality of life.
well in that case you should either go up on the doise of these medicines or may add a water pill .you need to check your blood pressure while sitting and standing to rule out orthostatic hypotension.this will require use of plenty of fluids, use of compression stockings and use of medicines like midodrine.
Dr. Salar
Dr. Salar, Doctor
Thank you, I will check BP sitting and standing, drink lots of water and check with my doctor about midodrine. Good to get more than one opinion. Thanks again. MaryLu
On line: Medodrine causes blood pressure to rise. (?) MaryLu
it will . if there is orthostatic hypotension. if you dont have difference in bloo dpressure during sitting or standing then you add hydrochlorthiazide for blood pressure control.