Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 24 years old. In january I had my gallbladder removed…

Customer Question
I am 24 years old...
I am 24 years old. In january I had my gallbladder removed as I was suffering badly with gallstones. A couple of weeks after the operation i began to have very weird bowel movements i was either having constant diarreoa or constipation and i am continuing to experience this as well as constantly feeling sick, stomach cramps and lots of wind. I dont feel myself at all and its starting to really get me down. I cant seem to go anywhere without needing to use the toilet and if i go out to eat it usually comes straight through me.I have no appetite at all and never feel hungary. My stools do not have any blood in them. Im really worried that i ahve something serious like colon cancer even though i know this is unlikely as i have no previous family history i cant help but worry. I did go to my GP i had blood tests which came back normal but my symptoms are the same so i need to go back but im scared of the tests and what they may see. Could you please help as i dont feel i can lead a normal life at the moment as im constantly worrying!

BL
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/17/2010
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello great question
What your GP has not realized is that this is PCS or post cholectomy syndrome. Some individuals get stomach problems after gall bladder removal, some get irritable bowel. Both are presumed due to the altered flow of bile since there is no longer any reservoir...ie the gallbladder.

Gradually move to a high fiber diet, Small portions, mostly plant foods, very little meat or animal products if any for a while.
Get your GP on board with Irritable bowel treatment as needed.
Good Luck
dt
Please click accept to give answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated. Bonuses the most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.

Thank you for your reply. Just to confirm..... you dont think this is anything serious like colon cancer?

Very unlikely
But if you get a GI consult, the doctor can do a colonoscopy if indicated. I doubt it though.
Your regular doctor should check your stool for hidden blood as well.
Still, the problem seems clear.
dt