Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

What is periportal edema?

what is periportal edema?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question,

This means that there is some fluid around the portal vessels and the possible causes

can be heart failure, liver congestion, hepatitis, can occur after trauma to that area and

represents blood accumulation in that area.

Other causes can be enlarged lymph nodes and blockage of lymphatics in that area.

Once this is found on CT scan above mentioned causes should be ruled out clinically

and by further tests.

I hope this answers your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for that. I still don't know what in means in relation to an distended gallbladder or wall thickening of the gallbladder. Are they related or are they separate things? I have had an endoscopy that revealed mild gastritis and a submucosal nodularity which was biopsied. I cannot piece things together and cannot get my doctor on the phone. My liver enzymes were only slightly elevated, ruling out hepatitis. I am extremely naseous and cannot really eat anything other than broth. I do not know what to do.
gratefully Lorraine

Thank you for your reply,

Dear Lorraine, This finding can be associated with gall bladder and liver problem as all

these structures are close. so finding can be due to presence of fluid in that area which

occurs as a normal response (inflammation of liver or gall bladder). In most cases this

recovers when the possible cause like inflammation of liver of gall bladder is removed.

I hope this helps.

Have a lovely day.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you
Thank you and take care