Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I hope this is a legitimate sight i am 23 and started

Customer Question
hi i hope this is...
hi i hope this is a legitimate sight i am 23 and started methadone maintenance program the day i turned 18. My goal was to be off of treatment by the time i turned 21 so I tried rehab and could not handle it, my body felt like i was and 80 year old women.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/17/2010
Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

This is a legitimate site.

I am sorry that rehab has failed twice in your case. But this is not very uncommon. Many people fail rehab as well as suboxone many times before being being successful at a methadone maintenance program.

It is also normal to feel tired and exhausted (like an 80 year old) but this is a brief period and if you can come through with it, you will be successful during the follow-up period.

Please try again. Psychological counselling while you are on the program and even later will help.

Suboxone treatment is considered superior to methadone but different people respond differently to the two drugs. You will need to consider which drug is more stabilising in your case and start on that the next time.

I hope this helps.

I want to know the success rate, I have been in and out of rehabs now since i was 15. I have been to 11 treatment centers and 2 detox only. I even spent one year at an adolescent halfway house on absolutely nothing besides all the psych meds they shove down your throat, that year was a blurr to me because of the seraquil and wellbutrin and one other med i cant remember the name of...it was something like remerol....I guess i just really feel hopeless and wanted some input thanks for your time but Maybe i should seek out a doctor I can speak with who specializes in addiction what do you think

The success rate of suboxone is actually qute good - more than 50%. But for some people, the effects are simply not strong enough to cut the craving, while for others, side effects including headache, withdrawal syndrome, pain, nausea, and sweating can make treatment difficult. But it still offers the promise of treatment success with far fewer problems.

It will be far better for you to go in for psychological counselling together with the suboxone. The counselling will help you handle the withdrawals better. You probably already have had psychological counselling by now but you need it more at the time you are find yourself unable to stand the withdrawals.

Please try the suboxone again- hopefully you will be successful this time.

I hope this helps.