Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I started jogging two months ago and run about 2 miles a day…

Customer Question
I started jogging two months...
I started jogging two months ago and run about 2 miles a day at an easy pace. I run with my pitbull/greyhound mix, Ivy, on my right side. Lately my left knee is giving me trouble. While it is not a pain, it has a weird feeling within the knee, as if it is weak or needs to crack. I bought a brace, a Jumper's Knee brace and it's helped a lot, but then I started getting pains in the front of my shins - both legs. With a little research I discovered the test to see if my feet pronate by looking at the heels of my running shoes and noticing the pattern of wear. My left foot it seems pronates, as there is wear on the right side of the heel towards the inside, and my right foot is the same as the left; the wear is also on the right, NOT the left inner side, but the outer side, identical to the left. Does that mean I underpronate on the right, and over pronate on the left? If so how do I get proper running shoes? Also, can this be due to Ivy running on my right? I never run without her.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/17/2010
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
DearCustomer
Hello.You do appear to overpronate on the left and underpronate on the right by the wear pattern on your running shoes.This may be happening if you are constantly avoiding the dog from getting underfoot on the right side thus veering to the left frequently.The other causes of knee and leg pain would be running on hard surfaces like concrete or the road,running uphill,overstriding or taking long strides thus overstraining the skeletal system,weak muscles of the legs and referred pain from the lumbosacral spinal nerve root compression due to disc problems or other causes.You need to see your doctor/orthopaedician for this problem .You may need to slow down for some time as also RICE(rest,ice and elevation) will help.Tight calf muscles,tendonitis,irritation of nerves and overuse of sore muscles will also cause pain.Use of analgesics may help.Hot compresses may help.A good running shoe with adequate support will help.