Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Specialist says he wants to do a OGD. What is this?

Customer Question
Specialist says he wants to...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2010
Doctor: Dr. Charogat, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Are you sure it is and OGD and not an EGD?

What is the problem that is making the specialist request this test?

G-d Bless

He is going to do a colonoscopy and ogd.

Lower abdominal pain. Ovarian pollup removed one year ago.

It sounds like he meant an EGD. The first part of the word Esophago - is spelled Eosophago in 'English' (as opposed to American) countries.

An EGD is an esophagogastroduodenoscopy. (Long word, not as scary as it sounds).
To put it very simply - it is sort of like the colonoscopy, only from the other end.
The doctor sedates you and then puts a camera down your through, through your stomach and in to the beginning of the small intestine.
During this he notes if anything looks abnormal and if he sees something abnormal he might take a biopsy.

You can also find out some more information by clicking on this link.

I hope this has helped. Please let me know if you need more information.

G-d Bless

If you have any follow-up questions please feel free to ask them.

_________________________

If you are satisfied with my answer, please push "accept" so that I can be paid. BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are not expected, but are always appreciated.