Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am on the pill, have been for many years, and have had no…

Customer Question
Hi, I am on the pill...
I am on the pill, have been for many years, and have had no issues with menstraution until now. Normally my period only lasts for a 3-5 days and then its done. I finished menstrauting 7 days ago same time i started the next cycle of pills. I stopped bleeding for a day or two and then started again. I have had to wear a pad for the last 5 days, seems like i am having my period again. Due to where i am working i cant not get any medical attention for over a week. I am not under any kind of stress and feel fine otherwise. Is this continued bleeding after my period normal? anything i should worry about?
Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/16/2010
Doctor: khagihara, Doctor replied 8 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? If so, over what period of time?
Have you had a pelvic exam, and ultrasound?
Do you have problem adjusting to hot temperature? Tremor? Hair loss? Bowel problem? Sleep problem? Palpitations?
Do you have excessive facial or body hair? Do you have thinning hair on the skull? Do you have acne increased?
Do you feel you are always thirsty and drink a lot of liquid? Do you go to the bathroom frequently? Is your appetite increased? Do you crave sweets?
Do you have any other problems associated with the problem?
Are you aware of anything which might have brought this on?
Do you have any medical problems?
Any surgeries?
Are you taking any medications including OTC pills and herbs?
Any family medical history?

• - 5'2', 185lbs. No significant weight loss to report. Even being overweight I try to be active. Run 5km every 2 to three days and participate in kick boxing classes.
  • - No ultrasounds or pelvic exams. I have a pap test scheduled for when I get back ashore with my doctor. I am not pregnant nor could I possibly be right now.
  • - No issues with sleeping, temperature, hair loss or bowels
  • - I dont experience much acne, I have a few blemishes everything time my period starts. I do have a few blemishes now.
  • - I haven't noticed any desired increase in liquids, I do try to drink a lot of water. I currently work at sea and conditions are dry so I try to make up for that. I have noticed I have needed to use the washroom frequently since this has started but that is common whenever I am on my period. No increase in appetite, nor sweet cravings (but what girl doesn't want that!)
  • - I am currently receiving a B12 shot every month, have been for 5 months now. It's a trial base, through blood work and tests my doctor recommended this.
  • - I had surgery 4 years ago, none since (ankle injury).
  • - I am on no other medications
  • - My Dad's side of the family has a large list of medical issues. Top of the list is diabetes, blood pressure, heart attacks.
Do you feel you are always tired?
Fragile nails?
Constipations?
Voice change?
Cold intolerance?
Difficulty to lose weight?
  • - I had been feeling abnormally tired, hence why I had gone to the doctor months ago. I haven't been feeling tired like I was. I do try and eat food like spinach and broccoli that have b12 in them and I do exercise 5-6 times a week.
  • - Not constipated, if anything more on the other side of things. Certain food can make my stomach upset (ice berg lettuce and greasy/deep fried foods)
  • - I would say somewhat fragile nails. I do not grow them long because they brake but also my working conditions would not suit long finger nails.
  • - No voice change nor temperature issues.
  • - Always struggle to lose weight no matter the hours put into the gym. I even have a personal trainer and have discussed this issue with my doctor.
Did you have thyroid function checked?
Do you have a round or puffy face (moon face), increased fat around the neck and upper part of the back?
Do you have thin, fragile skin, slow-healing wounds, wide, purplish stretch marks on the body (striae)?
Do you have irritability, anxiety, inability to sleep(insomnia), or feelings of sadness or depression?
Do you have loss of muscle tone and strength? Do you have difficulty to rise from a chair or climb stairs?

- I forgot thyroid does run on my dads side as well. It was something used to get checked regularly. When i went to my doctor about being tired she checked my TSH levels and all was good.

- I think i am fine around the face, neck and upper back. Most of my weight is in the mid section.

- I do have stretch marks, always had them...they are white though.

- Irritability was another issue when i went to the doctor but i think i have been better and none of the other issues are affecting me.

- I had a shoulder injury back in januray and have been in physio since, i have lost muscle strength from that. No issues with stairs or getting out of a chair.

I lose access to the internet in 20 minutes and will not be able to get back on for about 12 hours....just wanted to give you a heads up.

There are some possibilities.
  • fibroids
  • endometrial polyp
  • imbalances of hormones due to overweight
  • endometrial hyperplasia (overgrowth of the lining of the uterus-benign)
  • polycystic ovary syndorme-less likely from your symptoms
  • cervical, endometrial, ovarian tumor-less likely in your age
You should see a gynecologist to have a pelvic exam, and ultrasound. You should also ask your doctor to refer a dietitian who can help plan out a diet and exercise program with you.