Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I went and saw the GI doctor yesterday because I've been…

Customer Question
I went and saw the...
I went and saw the GI doctor yesterday because I've been having pain in my upper left side to my back so she ordered Complete Blood Counts, Vitamin Levels and on the 28th I am going to have a Small Bowel Follow-up what is the likely hood that I could have an infection in my body because not since starting yesterday I started to feel extremely tired, my whole body itches, I have aches I am very hot and feel weak and chest hurts what kind of infection do you think it could be if I have one.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/17/2010
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

The itching is an unusual symptom. Generalized itching without a rash can be caused by elevated bilirubin levels. This could be due to a gallstone causing blockage of the bile duct. This could also cause pancreatitis depending on the location . Pancreatitis as you probably know is inflammation of the pancreas. This can cause pain more to the left upper abdomen, and lower chest and radiating to the back. With the symptoms that you describe I would be inclined to include checking your liver function tests (ALT/AST/total, direct and indirect bilirubin/ GGT and albumin levels.) I would also check your pancreatic enzymes of amylase and lipase to check for abnormal levels of these which would indicate inflammation of the pancreas.

With the chest aching do you have pain with taking a deep breath? If so then this type of pain is referred to as pleuritic pain. It is typically caused by something causing inflammation of the lining between the lung and the chest wall. These two layers usually slide across each other like butter on Teflon but with inflammation the layers may become sticky and this may produce pain. Inflammation of the lung tissue by a respiratory infection (sometimes viral but sometimes this may be due to a bacterial pneumonia as well) is one possible cause of symptoms such as the ache in the chest and the fatigue. The fatigue is a nonspecific type symptom that can be associated with many different reasons however. There are of course other scenarios that might produce an ache in the chest. Inflammation from pancreatitis may also do this as it would irritate the diaphragm and this also produces pleuritic type pain.

There are different possible directions which your ongoing medical investigation may take and time will tell.

I hope this information helps you some. If you have further questions then I will be happy to get back with you on these. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. thank you and Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD