Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just found out i have water around my heart my dr. said i…

Customer Question
i just found out i...
i just found out i have water around my heart my dr. said i need to go in the hospital right now and have it removed. i also have copd. he said that the water around my heaht was keeping me from breathing very well. i'm not sure what to do
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/16/2010
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Welcome to JA!
How has he diagnosed the water around the heart?
Did he performed echocardiography?
What other symptoms do you have in addition to shortness of breath?
Any other medical codition?

Regards
The pericardial effusion or water around the heart is a medical condition which can produce such symptoms as shortness of breath and ankle swelling. It can compress on heart chambers and can effect their functioning depending upon the volume of fluid accumulated.

There are a number of conditions which are responsible for accumulation of this fluid around heart like following viral infections, chest infections, lung cancers, following heart attack.

So this is important for you to consult a cardiologist who would aspirate the fuild and will send it for testing for different causes.

The removal of fluid will decrease your symptoms and also testing the fluid will guide to the cause of the fluid accumulated.

Regards
The ankle swelling can be part of fluid around the heart or COPD causing right heart failure or diltiazem you are taking which is a calcium channel blocker.

So considering all this you need to consult a cardiologist who can evaluate and diagnose the condition truly responsible for your symptoms.

Regards