Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had used a very small portion of cocaine( I would say less

Customer Question

I had used a very small portion of cocaine( I would say less than 1 Gram) on friday and had a drug test tuesday afternoon. I rarely ever use this stuff. I exercise daliy and drank mass water will they be able to tell from the metbolites???
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 years ago.

Hi.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Cocaine itself can stay in the system for about 72 hours and comes out in the urine for about 24 to 72 hours as well after a single use. That means 3 days, which gives you a very narrow chance of clearing the drug test.

The metabolite they check for in the blood or urine for cocaine is called Benzoylecgonine. It stays in the blood for around 30 days (for frequent users, lesser time for one time users)

Cocaine can stay in your hair for about 90 days. Some reports suggest it being detected in the hair for about 25 years but that is indeed for chronic frequent users.

I would say, stay clear of it next time and hope for the best this time. It will be a narrow escape if you get through the test negative.

--Best wishes--

Expert:  Family Physician replied 8 years ago.
I would have to respectfully ***** ***** the answer provided by the other expert:

The longest length of detection (urine) reported in the medical literature is 22 days - not the 30 days reported by the other expert. This case report involved daily heavy use.

For occasional or single exposure the detection period for urine is less than 72 hours, and 48 hours in oral fluid (saliva).

Hair testing can be positive for 90+ days. The detection period in hair is NOT 25 years as reported.

Since your testing is 4 days since your last use, you will likely pass the test.