Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 50 year old female, 5'8, approx. 250 pds. 2 days ago…

Customer Question
I am a 50 year...
I am a 50 year old female, 5'8, approx. 250 pds. 2 days ago I injured my knee. I had done a lot of driving the day before and alot of steps at a baseball stadium. I got up the next day and when I walked out of my bedroom it gave out on me with a sharp pain. I can walk (carefully) if I keep my knee bent with no pain. There is no swelling or bruisng. I have been icing it repeatedly, using motrin for inflammation, resting and elevating it. It doesn't seem to be getting any better. If I walk with my foot turned outward and knee bent I avoid the (giving out/weakness/pain). I have no insurance. My question is what kind of injury is it, how can I treat it and what kind of brace (if need be) should I get? No previous injuries to this knee. Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/16/2010
Doctor: Ken, Postgraduate doctor replied 8 years ago
Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
I can understand your anxiety.
Knee is a complex joint and plays important role in maintaining balance and walking.
Knee joint is made up of bones/ ligaments/ tendons/ muscles and bursae. Any trauma can cause injury to one or more of these structures. It can be minimal sprain/ bone edema/ ligament tear or a fracture.
I do understand that you do not have insurance BUT not going to doctor for it is worrisome.
I would suggest you to have a physical examinations along with MRI knee to see for severity of injury. Treatment will follow.
Till than take rest/ avoid putting pressure on the knee till you are completely pain free {or it may aggravate underlying injury}/ use ice/ keep leg raised whenever possible/ anti inflammatory tabs will help to reduce pain.
Wish you well. God speed